Focus on – Marriage Allowance

Lots of couples aren’t claiming Marriage Allowance, a tax benefit which enables married or civil partners to transfer a proportion of their personal allowance between them.  It’s estimated by HMRC that a million couples who are eligible for this tax benefit aren’t receiving it.

If you are married or in a civil partnership and one of you is earning less than £11,850 a year and the other is a basic rate taxpayer earning less than £46,350 and you were both born on or after April 6th 1935, you are eligible to claim Marriage Allowance.  You can also claim the allowance back to April 6th 2015 when the change to the law was introduced.

For example –
A couple with a low earning partner transferring their allowance to their basic rate tax partner could claim

£212 from the tax year starting April 6th 2015,

£220 from the tax year starting April 6th 2016,

£230 from the tax year starting April 6th 2017

£238 from the tax year starting April 6th 2018

Equalling a total tax refund of £900.

It’s easy to apply for Marriage Allowance on line, although the application needs to be made by the lower or non-wage earner.  It will then be paid via a tax refund to the higher wage earner. Once you have made a claim you don’t need to reapply each year.

If your partner has died since April 6th 2015 you are still eligible to claim and if you were born before April 6th 1935 you may be eligible to claim Married Couples Allowance.

To find out more visit –


I always find the people at the Citizens Advice more than helpful. They go out of their way to deal with distressed and confused people in a compassionate and sensitive way. Citizens Advice is a wonderful service – long may it last.

John – January 2024

Our awards and achievements

Queens Award for Voluntary Service

Support Us

Support South Hams Citizens Advice with Give as You Live

Skip to content