Specialist Advice Projects

In addition to our generalist advice service we actively seek and secure funding for a range of specialist advice projects.  The projects enable us to provide specialist advice in benefits, debt, energy and health.

Help with Fuel Bills

Specialist Energy Advisors can:

  • Help with complex billing issues, resolving matters directly with energy providers;
  • deal with energy supplier issues, including billing and meter problems;
  • help householders understand how to make their homes more energy efficient;
  • look at fuel bills and household finances to help save money;

To get in touch see ‘Get advice’.

Fuel vouchers - Household Support Fund

Energy prices rising: Struggling to top up your prepay meter?

If you have a prepay meter and are struggling to afford to top it up, we can help.

As part of Devon County Council’s Household Support Fund, this scheme is open to anyone living in Devon County* and provides vouchers to add credit to your meter. The scheme is being managed by Citizens Advice Devon and so you can contact any local office for this support and to discuss your situation. In many cases they can offer additional energy advice that may actually save you far more.

If you live in South Hams click here
If you live in other parts of Devon click here
* if you live in Plymouth or Torbay other support is available through your local Hosehold Support Fund

Health and Social Care

Healthwatch Devon is the independent consumer champion for health and social care. With a team of Healthwatch Champions working across the county, they provide specialist support, guidance and advice in all aspects of health and social care. The champions will help clients resolve any health and social care enquiries.

To get in touch call 0800 520 0640 (Staffed 10am – 4pm, Mon-Fri) or visit blank” rel=”noopener”>Healthwatch Devon.


Debt Advice

Our specialist debt advisers provide debt and financial capability advice regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  They can help with:

  • Managing multiple and complex debt issues;
  • Helping you understand your urgent and priority bills
  • They can look at your options and look for ways to increase your income and reduce your outgoings;
  • Advising on next steps such as applying for a Debt Relief Order, Debt Management Plan or other debt solutions.
  • Talking to bailiffs and negotiating affordable payment arrangements with your creditors.

To get in touch see ‘Get Advice’.

Quids for Kids

Specially trained benefits advisers support families who have children with additional needs by assessing their eligibility for benefits and by challenging unfair decisions.  We know that the benefits system can be complicated and confusing and this can put busy families off claiming.

Referrals to this project are made through Quids4Kids – Citizens Advice Devon or by calling 0300 5000 404.

Devon Advice Service For Working Age Carers

This service can help carers to understand what welfare benefits they, or the cared for person might be entitled to.

The service can give carers a free benefit check, which will include looking at whether they would be better off working, and how starting work or changing their hours would affect their income and benefits. The service can be accessed by carers when they have a carer’s needs assessment through Devon Carers: Helpline 03456 434 435  (available Monday to Fridays from 8am – 6pm and on Saturday 9am – 1pm).

Help is available to complete new benefit applications and also to challenge benefit decisions including Social Security Tribunal representation. In some circumstances it may be possible to arrange a face to face appointment when a phone advice service is not suitable. To use this service contact Devon Carers on 03456 434 435.

Action For Children: Advice For Users Of Children’s Centres In Devon

This service provides advice for users of Children’s Centres in Devon. It can give families a free benefit check, help with claiming and guidance on financial management. It can also help parents understand how getting a job or changing the hours they work would affect their income and benefits.

Referrals can be made by Action for Children staff by completing the Enquiry Form.

Families can access the service by contacting their Local Children’s Centre.

Pension Wise

Do you have a defined contribution pension? If you’re aged over 50, our Pension Wise service can help you understand your options.

Free appointments are available in various locations in Devon.

The national Citizens Advice website has a useful guide to help you get ready for your Pension Wise appointment.  You can also book an appointment at Pension Wise.

TQ9 - Together We Care

Citizens Advice South Hams are proud partners of Totnes Caring: Together We Care.  Look out for this logo across the town for free warm spaces of the winter or check out the website at https://tinyurl.com/bde2p3hw

Yorkshire Building Society

In partnership with the Yorkshire Building Society, we now hold weekly outreach advice sessions at the building society’s branch in Dartmouth by appointment. Appointments can be made vis the branch at 3 South Embankment, Dartmouth TQ6 9BH.

Trussell Trust

We provide an outreach advice service at the Trussell Trust foodbank at Ivybridge Methodist Church for people using the foodbank.


I always find the people at the Citizens Advice more than helpful. They go out of their way to deal with distressed and confused people in a compassionate and sensitive way. Citizens Advice is a wonderful service – long may it last.

John – January 2024

Our awards and achievements

Queens Award for Voluntary Service

Support Us

Support South Hams Citizens Advice with Give as You Live

Skip to content