Introduction to Citizens Advice South Hams
We help people find a way forward
We can all face problems that seem complicated or intimidating. At Citizens Advice South Hams, we believe no one should have to face these problems without good quality, independent advice.
That’s why we’re here: to give people the knowledge and the confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem.
we give advice to millions of people
We’re part of a network of independent charities that offers confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.
When we say we’re for everyone, we mean it. People rely on us because we’re independent and totally impartial.
Last year, Citizens Advice South Hams helped over 4000 people through face to face , telephone and email. We provide advice on debt, benefits, housing, family and relationship, consumer and health issues.
We speak up for our clients
No one else sees so many people with so many different kinds of problems, and that gives us a unique insight into the challenges people are facing today.
With the right evidence, we can show big organisations – from companies right up to the government – how they can make things better for people.
We see how problems can be linked. By helping people with the underlying cause of their problems and making sure they don’t get worse, we save the government and public services hundreds of millions of pounds every year.
We make a difference
We are a Registered Charity, number 1091133.
We are lucky to have the time and expertise of a dedicated team of 60+ volunteers, who are supported by a small team of paid supervisors, managers and specialists. Without them our work would not be possible.
Citizens Advice South Hams also has a board of trustees who play an essential role in ensuring that the charity runs smoothly.
Trustees make sure that:
- The advice services we offer are high quality
- Our clients’ experiences are used to campaign for changes in policies or services locally and nationally
- Resources are secured to meet current and new demands and that all funds are used responsibly, and
- Recruitment and selection for staff and volunteers are fair and we are representative of the local community
- Training and support are available for staff and volunteers
- Local partner organisations and funders are aware of the charity and its services