Advice on Coronavirus and childcare

I’ve been called back to work, but my child’s school isn’t reopening. What are my rights?

If you’re struggling to juggle childcare and work you have a number of options.

Firstly, the government has said that if you’re unable to work due to childcare responsibilities, your employer can continue to furlough you using the Job Retention Scheme.

If your employer will not keep you on furlough, you can ask to work more flexibly, such as at different times or for fewer hours.

Alternatively, you could ask for ‘indefinite unpaid leave’ until you are able to work again.

It is important to talk through any concerns with your employer as soon as possible so that you can reach a solution that works for both of you.

If your employer says no to the options above, and if you are a member of a trade union, they will be able to help you to raise your concerns with your employer.

You can find further help and advice at:

The information contained in these articles does not constitute advice. For the most up-to-date information, please visit


They are a very friendly and helpful team in Totnes, I got results the next day on something I have been trying to sort out for half a year.

Sarah – December 2023

Our awards and achievements

Queens Award for Voluntary Service

Support Us

Support South Hams Citizens Advice with Give as You Live

Skip to content